Thursday, September 11, 2008

Logan

I'm working my night shift rotation right now and yesterday afternoon after I got ready for work I went to meet the kids at the corner as they got off the bus. Our subdivision is the first stop on the school bus route but still doesn't get here until around 3:40. School lets out and the buses start loading at 3:15. That's 25 minuets between. So, Brody gets off the bus yesterday afternoon and comes running across the street, no Logan. A couple of seconds go by and Brody starts telling me that Logan missed the bus. He didn't get on the bus at school. Now I'm thinking to myself, 'How on earth could the aides not put my 5 year old on the bus?' Man was I pissed! Not to mention scared to death. So I run back to the house grab my car keys and wallet and book it to the school. The whole time Brody is apologizing because he forgot Logan at school. Now that made my heart ache. Here's a 6 year old child apologizing for something the adults at his school are supposed to take care of. The boys are bus riders. Its in their file at school. If that changes, say I need or want to pick them up after school, I have to send a note in to the school to the teacher and the office letting them know.
As I'm on the way to the school I make a phone call. I had to call the school twice, back to back, before I could get anyone to answer the phone. Its not yet 4o'clock yet they're already letting the answering machine pick up the phone calls. I finally get someone on the phone and I tell her I'm calling because my 5 year old Logan did not get off the bus at home and want to know why that is. She replies, 'Because he told us he was a car rider.' A 5 year old little boy tells you something, and no note was sent to the school and no phone call was made to the school letting the school officials know and you don't call the parent to confirm. My cell phone is on file at the school. My work phone and my parents cell phones as well. Yet no call was made. To top it off. Brody tells me he told the bus driver, before she even left the school, that his little brother was not on the bus yet. Why would I only pick up one of my children from the school yet let the other one ride the bus home?? Does that make any sense to any of you? Because it sure as heck makes no sense to me! Anyway, I get to the school and to the office, and once I calm Logan down, who at this time was in tears, his teacher and one of the office aides start trying to change the subject and turn it to Logan's behavior in the classroom and in the cafeteria. I know Logan and I need to work on his behavior, but because this is his first school experience, I expected some adjustment issues the first month of school. What I don't appreciate is that the two that were in the office decided that was a good time to try to discuss it. Why? So that I wouldn't be thinking about how my child got left behind due to a slip up at the school, that's why. I know Logan told them he was a car rider, but as adults, they should have double checked that especially since Logan had no note saying that he not supposed to get on the bus. INTO BATTLE I GO. I'll be contacting the super over this now.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Good for you! School should be the one place you can send them and know that they're being taken care of! Poor babies, I'm sure they were both scared!

Terio said...

So what happened?